President -Paul Hazzard
Secretary -Ian Fry
Treasurer -Sam Arghyros
This group was formed in 2019 after a small group got together with the Brisbane City Council to set up a revegetation area near the shoreline to restore the habitat.
Since then the group has grown, as more people have become aware of the importance of restoring and keeping the natural beauty and of the protection this natural habitat provides the township.
We felt a good starting point was to look at other coastal locations with similar issues and see what they were doing and how they were achieving success. The location we identified as best fitting this description is Coochiemudlo Island so we feel this would be a good model for Kooringal.
Coochiemudlo Island Coast Care Group http://coochiemudloislandcoastcare.org.au/about/ have similar issues such as erosion and have identified the strategy of restoring and maintaining the natural habitat as key. They work with the Quandamooka Rangers and other authorities, building community awareness and have obtained grants to support some of their coastal care and environment activities.
Our initial objectives are taken with thanks from the Coochiemudlo Island Coast Care Group. The intention is to adapt and change these for Kooringal Coast Care.
Coochiemudlo Island Coastcare Objectives
1. To value, protect and enhance the natural island environment, particularly coastal and marine areas and promote best management practice.
2. To engender in the local community a sense of stewardship of the island’s natural environment.
3. To foster co-operation between stakeholders wherever action is required to rehabilitate degraded habitats and undertake joint projects when needed.
4. To conduct regular meetings where normal business of the Association will be transacted as well as films, local and visiting lecturers utilised and other activities associated with the development of these objects conducted
5. To promote the preservation of flora, fauna, geological and geographical features, environmental and habitat units by all lawful means including but not by way of limitation, the following –
5.1 Encourage an understanding of the principles of Coastcare, Conservation, Biodiversity, Sustainable Resource Use and Preservation of the Environment.
5.2 By discouraging threatening processes to, or the wanton destruction of any such Flora, Fauna, Geological or Geographical features and particularly those sites known to have sacred or Cultural significance for Aboriginal people.
5.3 By supporting Management Plans and Agreements that are consistent with the Association’s objectives.
5.4 By accepting affiliation from, or co-operating with any society or Corporation in Australia or elsewhere for the furtherance of the foregoing objects.
6. To co-operate with Local Government departments and others to ensure they are aware of environmental concerns before making major planning decisions that could affect the island.
7. To seek Government funding and corporate sponsorship to finance the publication and distribution of such information to interested parties.
8. To make submissions on Coastcare matters and to take action to ensure environmentally appropriate decisions are made.
9. To publish information regularly to keep members informed of the Association’s activities and future events.
10. By all such other acts or things as are incidental or conducive to the attainment of the above objectives.